Old 26-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Lostin1999

Default Raised Pond

"puddleduck" wrote in message
news

Can someone tell me if i'll be ok building a raised pond out of railway
sleepers, i'm wanting the pond to be 10' x 7' x3'5". anyone got any
suggestions on this, i'll be keeping just a few goldish in the pond
nothing fancy.
PLEASE ADVISE.

Hi Puddle Duck

I've built a similar pond to your design, although making it 10 foot long
will be more awkward because sleepers are 8' long, so yours will need them
cut a lot (having done this by hand I recommend hiring a chain saw for this
purpose!!

there's pictures of my pond at
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lostin1999/album

mine is however 8' X 5' X 4 foot deep (in the middle) with a 12-18 inch
planting shelf (18 " at ends 12" along sides)16" deep.. it was only built
a couple of months ago...

you will need to drill holes and put shafts down through the sleepers to
stop slippage due to water weight... are you putting the sleepers flat or
vertical? (flats easier but makes for a smaller pond and wider edge...

hope the pictures help inspire you

Lost