Old 27-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wild wild rocket

In article ,
writes:
| On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:59:56 +0100, "datsy"
| wrote:
|
| If I get it wrong when using my field guide to identify wild rocket
| (actually, in my Collins FG, 'Hedge mustard' is what they call
| Sisymbrium officinale, which in turn is what the Internet seems to
| call 'wild rocket'), eating the wrong close relative won't do me any
| harm, will it?
|
| Just as a matter of interest, why is "wild rocket" in the supermarket called
| "wild rocket" in the first place??
|
| Perhaps because that's it's common name?

Well, no, it isn't.

The rocket that is sold sold in supermarkets is still Eruca sativa,
which is called rocket or sweet rocket. There are other plants
called rocket, but their "wild rocket" is merely a different variety
of sweet rocket. Remember that there is no law against inventing
bogus names for such things.

Hedge mustard is a different plant, and will taste different. It
certainly has been used for flavouring salads, but I have not eaten
it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.