Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Dick

Default "low light" plants

On 26 Jul 2004 08:00:31 -0700, (Paul Wright) wrote:

Another question folks:

I just bought an assortment of "low light" plants from an aquatic
plant vendor. The order includes:

2 Anubias Barteri Reg

2 Anubias Nana Reg

2 Java Fern

2 Bolbitis Heudelotii

2 Cryptocoryne Blassi

1 Anubias Show

This assortment was labeled as "low light" by the vendor. I want to
add these to a 10 gal. tank with a 15 watt fluorescent bulb that
produces wavelengths of light optimal for plant growth (not sure of
the brand). Are these plants difficult to maintain in these
conditions? Just just wondering what to expect. Many thanks in advance
for your help.

Paul Wright

I have 4 low light tanks. They all have desnse fish populations. I
use no chemicals, but change 20% weekly. Your selections sounds
similar to what I have. You were smarter than me, I didn't know about
"low light" when I started my first tank 18 months ago. Once I got
smarter, I replaced all my plants. Now my tanks are jungles. One of
my anubias in a 10 gallon tank has leaves touching the surface. I
have another plant (don't know the name) that grows on a long stem
with small circular leaves sticking out. It started slowly, but is
now so robust that I have started other places and I have to nip off
pieces from the top as they reach the water surface.

Most fish owners should get low light plants. The tanks generally do
not have enough light to sustain the other plants unless specifically
purchased with special lighting.

dick