Old 27-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Diogs where they don't belong

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:29:15 UTC, nutNhoney opined:
Stan Goodman wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming

into

my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as

the

spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at

me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

I can attest to the effectiveness of the motion sprinkler. Dogs
certainly won't like it! Rabbits, squirrels, and racoons don't like it
either. I can't say the meter reader guy was overly impressed at our
old home. DH on more than one occasion got an additional shower along
with his morning coffee. I initially bought mine to protect our pond
but now am using it in the garden. Depending on your set-up, you may
need two to protect all areas. I move mine around a fair amount so the
critters don't get to accustomed to the direction the spray is coming
from. Another option may be a Fido electric fence around your garden.
That will be effective for whatever garden you put it around but won't
help much for your lawn and other unprotected areas. The last option I
can think of besides fencing is cayenne pepper either powdered or spray
solution. The downside is you have to reapply after a rain.

Sprinklers are a solution that would occur only to people who live where
there is plenty of water. Here, the radio is forever telling me "Don't waste
a drop". I turn the spigot off while I am shaving, except when I need
actually to rinse the razor.

You might want to contact animal control for a more permanent solution.
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

The Nature Protection Agency is responsible for animals in the wild; the
SPCA mostly accepts unwanted pets. Dogs bothering a householder would be a
police matter. I did report the matter to the police; they have other, more
pressing matters to deal with, and it is hard to fault them for not putting
a high priority on this one. That is why I thought to post the problem here.

I'll try the cayenne suggestion. Since there is no rain at all here during
the summer (from April through November and well into December), that may
help for most of the year, at the cost of a large package of ground cayenne
pepper. As for the winter -- by then, the magic of Operant Conditioning may
have persuaded the dogs that this is not a good place to visit.

Thanks for your comments.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.