Old 28-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Diogs where they don't belong

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:29:36 UTC, (Glenna Rose) opined:
writes:

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any
reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Just remember, it's his loss. He apparently has not heard of folks who
use them and swear by them. Gee, a pest control with no poisons or
anything else to harm animal or human, why would anyone want to try that?!

Why indeed?

Try not to take it personally, some folks want a complicated solution when
a simple one will suffice. Or maybe he has no outside water faucet. As I

Actually, I am after a simple solution and one involving as little
expenditure as possible. I mean to try at least two of the suggestions made
here.

understand from a friend who has one of the sprinklers, one of the
beauties of them is that they operate for only a few seconds so there is
no waste of water. My own observation regarding my feeble attempts to
keep the squirrel away from the apricots is that it only takes 2 or 3
seconds which certainly is not a waste of water; more than that is used
flushing the toilet once.

I have never seen motion sprinklers in this country, and am sure they are
not for sale anywhere here. It is a mistake to think that everything you can
buy in your local garden shop or Wal-Mart is available everywhere in the
world. No, I am not interested in the hassle of importing them; the custom
duty and plus UPS/FedEx/DHL charges would be prohibitive.

I like to think that I have enough judgement to know when "it is my loss"
and when it isn't, even with the disadvantage of being this close to the
question.

I'd use one for the squirrel except the movement of the tree branches
would likely keep it going all the time. Since that one doesn't come to
the ground, entering and leaving the yard via tree tops, one on the ground
would be useless. However, come winter when I prune the tree severely, I
may install one on the ground near the Evergreen Magnolia tree where more
nest; when they cannot jump from another tree into it and will get
sprinkled, perhaps it will discourage some of the critters anyway!
(Though it sure doesn't help now.)

Since there is a problem here with dogs coming onto the front side yard, I
may install one out there which would also keep stray cats from coming
over that fence at the back yard as well.

Take care.

Glenna

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.