Old 26-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Gail Futoran

Default How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Maggie's Mom" wrote
[snip] Do I have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions?

I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please

help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.

I have an Angel Face patio rose (about the same
size as your tree roses) planted in one of those
fake (lightweight) half barrels - less than 10 gallon
capacity, at a guess. It sits on my small front porch
[concrete slab] and has done well the last two
"winters", including one early spring frost that killed
several of my established roses in beds.

Bottom line: Your tree roses should do fine in pots
as long as there is room for their roots, and as long
as they get some winter protection - whether close
to the house, in the garage or etc.

I've never kept roses inside for any length of
time so I don't know how the lack of sunshine
would affect them. You might ask the other
posters about that. I think you would also
need to be careful about watering - not over-
or under-watering over the winter. I solve
that problem by letting water drain through.
That way I can over-water without actually
over-watering. But doing that indoors could
be a problem.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8