Old 26-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wild wild rocket

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
| Kay wrote:
| ::
| :: Which are you thinking of? I'd always thought of the Cruciferae as
| :: one of the less hazardous families - though I'd not recommend the
| :: OP to experiment as I'm not 100% sure on this point.
|
| some types of mustard are toxic, at least the seeds and pods, although not
| deadly, a severe case of gastroenteritis will follow their consumption.
| http://www.aun.edu.eg/distance/pharm...s_brassica.htm

Er, "severe"? Almost certainly mild. And you are likely to be warned
by the very strong burning sensation, which is what mustard is all
about! Furthermore, the damage isn't likely to be permanent. Unless
you go bonkers, either with quantity or ignoring danger signs, this
isn't likely to be a major risk. But care is indicated.

DON'T fool with the Solanaceae or Fabaceae/Leguminoseae, as those are
SERIOUSLY risky, often with one part of a plant being used as food
and another part being lethal, and so on.

| There are also many hedgerow plants which are easily mistaken for herbs...as
| nearly all plants have some effect on the human body, it's definately not
| safe to pick those that 'resemble' safe ones.

Many herbs' flavourings are indications of sub-clinical levels of
toxins. Such as mustard :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.