Old 30-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Pam Moore

Default Growing cherries from stones

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:29:46 GMT, (Sally
Thompson) wrote:

Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success?

I have a cherry that I grew from a pip about 20 years ago. It is
still in a pot, roughly bonsai-ed, so not very big. It has fruited
each year for some years now, and the fruit are tasty, though usually
only about a dozen and the birds get them before I do. It is self
fertile as there are no other cherry trees around.
I have had peach stones germinate in the compost bin, but never
cherries. You need to keep them protected from mice. I would sow
them in a pot of sand, with wire mesh over, in the greenhouse and see
what happens.... and be patient.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol