Old 31-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Phisherman

Default Easiest way to prepare soil for grass seed?

The easiest way is to hire an experienced landscaper to do it. (I can
think of the best way, but that's not what you asked.)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:43:43 -0500, "Dave K."
wrote:

We have a lawn in Minnesota that has large areas of weeds. We want to pull
the weeds and plant grass seed. What's the easiest way to prepare the soil
so grass seed will take root? We don't really want to rent a tiller if we
don't have to, and when I tried to hand till it with shovels and a spade,
that was a ton of work that we'd like to avoid if possible.

I've heard of many people, especially "country folk" with big lawns, who say
they thicken up their lawns just by mowing weeds down real short and
throwing grass seed onto the soil. Does this work? When I've thrown grass
seed on regular hard soil, hardly any of it takes root.

Anyone have tricks for planting grass seed EASILY, so it takes root? What if
we watered down the soil real good till it was muddy, threw some grass seed
on, then raked it into the ground? Would this work? Any tips would be
appreciated!!!