Old 30-07-2004, 10:58 PM
MK

Default Easiest way to prepare soil for grass seed?

This is what I did for a 8X15 ft area.

In the middle of summer-until fall, i regularly mowed that area like i did
the rest of the lawn. Every 2 weeks (or so) i applied 'weed and feed' in
that area. I stopped the fertilizing in September (6th)- but mowed the area
every week.

At the time of 'leaves falling'- (October 6th) -I mean in the thick of FALL-
I mowed that area with the lowest setting on the lawnmower. I threw seeds
and strew some straw over the area. By winter time, I saw the lawn sprung
up. I never mowed that area. Come Spring 2004- it was essentially lawn
with 10% weeds. I sprayed some round up on the 'dandelions'. Now it is 97%
grass.

I think that is easy

I was told aerating does not help seeding. In fact- it is not advised to
seed after aeration.

MK

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Dave K." wrote in message
We have a lawn in Minnesota that has large areas of weeds. We want to

pull
the weeds and plant grass seed. What's the easiest way to prepare the

soil
so grass seed will take root? We don't really want to rent a tiller if

we
don't have to, and when I tried to hand till it with shovels and a

spade,
that was a ton of work that we'd like to avoid if possible.

I've heard of many people, especially "country folk" with big lawns, who

say
they thicken up their lawns just by mowing weeds down real short and
throwing grass seed onto the soil. Does this work? When I've thrown

grass
seed on regular hard soil, hardly any of it takes root.

Anyone have tricks for planting grass seed EASILY, so it takes root?

What
if
we watered down the soil real good till it was muddy, threw some grass

seed
on, then raked it into the ground? Would this work? Any tips would be
appreciated!!!

You could core aerate the lawn and then seed it. You could use a slit
seeder. Of course, both options involve renting equipment. I am afraid
that there is no effortless way to do a good job.