Old 02-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Alex

Default tilling front yard

On 30 Jul 2004 06:24:59 -0700, Chi wrote:
I am planning to till my front yard as part of rennovating my lawn.
Do I need to worry about underground gas/electric lines? I have
already called to get the utilities to mark my lawn. Does anyone have
any advice?

I can offer some advice about the lawn part: after you kill the
existing lawn with glyphosphate, remove it with a sod cutter. Do not
till the dead grass, it does not (as one might think) become
organic mulch - you end up having to rake it all out and it is
the most backbreaking sort of labor.

After removing the old turf with the sod cutter then you might
want to till the soil if it is compacted.

The old turf slabs will eventually compost into good topsoil but
it take at least a year.