Old 14-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Kay

In article , Broadback
writes in answer to someone else

That's true - but the system they've evolved is an 'always on' one.
The presence of 'feelings' would surely give rise to a range of
defence/attack mechanisms that would be brought into play at
discretion, in reaction to certain conditions...in the same way that a
little terrier can be a cute, fluffy ball of fun one minute, and a
mass of sharp, pointy teeth the next ( or is that just my dog? ).

If I may steal an idea from an ancient philosopher, how do you know that
nettles do not sting unless something brushes against them?

What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

OK, you may say that is mechanical, but then so are all our senses when
you look at them closely enough.

--
Kay