Old 15-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Jim Webster

"Old Codger" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Old Codger" wrote in message
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

I have been told that you can have as many domestic garages as you
like in your garden; it being assumed that you will not want to
build more than you need.

Don't know about that. Do know that you need planning permission to
build a garage in your garden.

If it is less than a certain percentage of the ground area of the
house isn't it a permitted development?

Ah, you have a point but not quite that. There is a concept of permitted
development up to some percentage of the *original* floor area. Note
"original floor area" so it can only be done once. I would expect an
attached garage to come within this permitted development but I don't know
if it also applies to detached garages.

I tried it about 10 years ago. In the mid 70s I had added an additional

60%
floor space and a large detached garage. About 10 years ago we thought we
might like a couple of conservatories and renew and extend the carport. I
wrote to the council enquiring if I needed planning permission. Their
response: "If I had completed the development that had been approved in
1972 then I needed planning permission (been paying rates on the extended
property since 1975 but it was still "if"). I needed planning permission
for the carport as well as the conservatories. In the event we never

built
the conservatories. When it came to it the wife decided she did not want
all that glass.

I knew there was something about permitted development for domestic but it
wasn't something I have ever had anything to do with. Remember once seeing a
brick built house being built over a timber and tin smaller building while
that was still standing

Jim Webster