Old 04-02-2003, 06:00 AM
BenignVanilla

Default Settlement Tanks

"MLF" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
I did some quick math, assuming a 2000 gallon pond, and an
1800GPH pump. It would take the pump 67 minutes to circulate the
water in the pond. With a 200 gallon settlement tank, the water
would have only 7 minutes to settle in the tank...So is 7 minutes
enough? I am guessing not.

You're right. The other person who suggested that you put some material
in a glass of water, shake it up and see how long it takes to settle out
is not right either. Unlike your settling tank, the water in the glass
is not moving. The only way to get it to settle is to let it sit - a
loooooong time. Only the largest particles will settle in 7 minutes and
then only if the water is still enough (settling time in still water is
a function of the size of the particles and time).

I figured the motion of the water would have a dramatic effect.

snip

You're right. Go with the veggie filter. With proper inlet construction
and design you won't suck up much that will harm your filter.

So what is proper inlet construction? Seems all of the professional inlets
seem to be upside bowl shaped. Still learning what that is all about.

BTW: I have worked in municipal sewage and fresh water treatment plants
for some years. They use a process called "flocculation" to remove
suspended solids. Basically, this consists of introducing a material
into the water that collects on the particles, makes them clump
together, and then they are filtered or settled out. Very effective and
non-toxic. (Imagine putting a little powdered jello in a bucket of muddy
water - the gelatin would collect on the particles and you could filter
the solids out with a fine mesh cloth.)

Will Wild Cherry Jello work? That's my favorite. I supposed I should leave
the vodka out though eh?

BV.