Old 19-08-2004, 07:20 PM
BAC

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Neil Jones
writes
On the subject of "Cabbage" white butterflies I thought I'd clarify

matters.

I find it odd that someone hasn't contradicted Malcolm since he listed

the
Green Veined White as a cabbage feeder.

snip

Green-veined whites are the first "white" to appear in my garden and are
commoner there, close to habitation and cabbages (!), in the early part
of the summer than either of the other two ever become, though I
acknowledge that might not be the case widely. And they have just
reappeared and I've currently got all three species in about similar
numbers.

And it is still definitely lumped with the other two as a "cabbage
white".

That's right - I took it you were referring to the three species as those
likely to be described as 'cabbage whites' (which, in my experience, is
true, they often are), not claiming that description as accurate or merited.
Only pieris brassicae is a 'true' cabbage white, surely?