Old 20-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Martin

That must be good advice then if you have five books in agreement with our
own article on pruning! Perhaps that say's something in itself?

On the question of pruning straight across, I recall the Royal National Rose
Society (foolishly) advocate this method on one occasion, but they have
since rescinded that advice. The method did not choose any particular line
to cut to for individual stems, it was more a case of "hedge cutting with a
hedge trimmer or lawn shears". This method might appear to work to start
with on vigorous bushes but die back will be extensive which will eventually
weaken and/or make the rose look unsightly.

Our society has many rose exhibitors in its ranks, many of national level,
we can also boast at least four national champions. Articles about the
cultivation of the Rose on the Bexrose web site are probably more meaningful
than the lay-rose grower would appreciate at first sight.

So for the best of the best look again at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose and don't forget to read it all,
and between the lines!

Enjoy

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster
PS they say you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink! - Have
you tried holding his head under?!

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:16:03 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

You will find an article on pruning on the Bexrose web site at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

As much as I appreciate the help, I know all of that stuff. Anyone
who's listened to me pratter on on this newgroup for the past couple
of years can attest to that.

Besides, I've probably to about 5 books that say the exact same thing.

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
I'm curious about the details of that pruning method that some Brits
use for bushes. You know, the one where you just make a straight cut
across the middle top of the bush. Does anyone have any details about
it? Where do you choose your line? Do you do any other "lateral"
pruning. Etc. Etc.

My big Aloha is getting rangy and "tall growing" instead of its normal
bush form. I'd like to get it back to normal if possible. It's now
about 10 feet tall in the middle but looks sparse on the side. It used
to be really round. If this odd pruning method can help, I'm game. My
previous pruning methods haven't really helped the shape of the bush.