Old 20-08-2004, 08:44 PM
hs

Lynda Thornton wrote in message ...
Hi

We have just moved to near the Welsh border in Shropshire - and on
moving day and since then we have seen some very scary large flying
insects which I can't identify. They look almost like a cross between a
fly and a bee and are mainly dark brown with paler brown stripes. They
have the triangular fly-wing shape but with a pointed end like a
stinger, but their heads look like flies. They don't seem to buzz
either, they must be well over an inch long, in fact probably 1.5
minimum and they are large and chunky and very intimidating! I've seen
a couple dead on the pavements in town too - I've never seen these
before and haven't been able to find them on the web - has anybody here
seen them and know what they are?

Thanks!

Your description sounded like a hoverfly, until you mentioned the size
- the only insect I know of that size is a hornet. Check out:

http://www.gardensafari.net/index.htm