Old 22-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Sally Thompson
writes
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:09:30 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

We have just moved to near the Welsh border in Shropshire - and on
moving day and since then we have seen some very scary large flying
insects which I can't identify.

snip
Can't help with the query - but welcome to Shropshire! You won't
regret the move. grovelSorry for OT reply /grovel

Hi

Thanks for the welcome and we love it here already!

Nobody so far has identified this creature - I can say it's not any of
the following that I've seen befo beefly, hornet, ichneumon (I've
seen various ichneumons) and it doesn't have an ovipositor visible -
it's mainly dark brown in colour and has a pointed body like a wasp or
bee but no sting or anything on view. It has no yellow on it. It isn't
a hoverfly like any I've seen personally or on the web and in my view
it's too big. I can only guess that it's some kind of fly but I've
never seen one so huge, and it's dark brown with paler bands striped
across which has the look of a bee of some kind, but I've never seen one
that looks like this. Perhaps it's some strange european visitor or a
weird mutation!

I'm happy to see any more suggestions but it looks like unless I get
some kind of photo I'm stumped.

Lynda