Old 22-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Doug Kanter

"MICHAEL LYONS" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
About 20 years back, I ordered a border fork & spade from Smith &

Hawken.
Great tools, but alas, the ex-wife has them. Before I drop a hundred

bucks
to replace them, I'm wondering if anyone's found anything similar in

stores
(USA only, please). I need a D-handle at the top, and that cannot be
plastic. Don't care about stainless steel.

It seems like US made tools you replace every couple of years, while the
British pass theirs down to their great-grandchildren.

True. And, what I saw at home centers yesterday looks and feels like
complete crap. I haven't hit the real garden stores yet, so that may still
provide the miracle I'm looking for. If I have a choice, I really prefer to
handle the tool before buying, although that may end up being impossible.