Old 23-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Pam - gardengal

Layne wrote in message ...
Just checking,

I saw a glazed pot at Target and on the bottom there was a sticker
that said that pot was not for food use or something like that. Does
that mean I shouldn't grow vegetable plants in it? And if so why?
And...does this apply to all glazed pots? I'm asking because I'd like
to grow kitty grass for my cats in a glazed pot I already have (not
the one I saw at Target with the sticker on the bottom.

Stupid question over,

Layne

ps, thanks!

Some pots have low fired glazes comprised of toxic compounds which could
leach into food products. They are not intended for food for human
consumption to be served in. There is no problem with using these for
growing cat grass, although I might not consider them very good for other
vegetable crops you intend to eat. For one thing, they tend not to be very
durable and will not weather well outside. They also tend to be cache pots
with no drainage holes - a decorative item you put another pot into - so
they look like they could be used as a serving piece. Pots and ceramic
containers designed for growing plants out of doors generally are high fired
and have no similar concerns.