Old 24-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Victoria Clare

Lynda Thornton wrote in
:

However there is the option of hornbeam, which seems to resemble
beech and also does the same trick of holding its leaves over winter and
is good for wildlife. It's also a lot cheaper to buy even in bulk as we
would need over 100 plants - so why is that? Are there any major
differences between hornbeam and beech that we need to know and haven't
discovered? Is hornbeam less fussy and a better grower or something?

According to Archie Miles: 'Silva - the tree in Britain' hornbeam is 'not
quite so forgiving of poor and stony soils' as beech, preferring good clay
or deep loam. '

He also mentions that it makes a slightly denser hedge than beech (though
personally I think that's probably more down to how you cut it).

Neither of these seem to explain the price difference!