Old 24-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Philip Eden" philipATweatherHYPHENukDOTcom wrote in message
.. .
This might sound too bizarre to believe, but
it is absolutely genuine. Any sensible advice will be
welcomed.

Although she realised her error within an hour and
subsequently sprayed them with water, naturally
they all shrivelled and died within 24 hours.

**** This does not make any sense. ***** Glyphosate is a slow

acting
systemic weedkiller and normally takes 1-2 weeks to kill plants

after
spraying.

The weedkiller was glyphosate, and it says on the
can that it's safe to use around children and pets,
and that it breaks down quickly in the soil after use.

The question is: are the tomatoes safe to eat?

It does not seem to me to be worth the risk of trying.

Especially since the way the tomato plants died is inconsistent with

the
weedkiller that is supposed to have been used.

Quite. I have never actually tried to kill a tomato with glyphosate,
but without exception, all weeds I have killed with glyphosate have
taken around 2 weeks to give up the ghost.

Franz