Old 28-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Brian Watson

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Watson wrote:
My mother has grown a passion flower (not sure of species) which has
produced orange plum-sized fruits with red "jelly"-coated seeds inside.

Are they edible?

I know the usual passion fruit, as sold in greengrocers, is a sort of
wrinkled brown-skinned thing with yellowy "jelly" coating on the seeds so

am
not sure whether I ought to be taking a chance with Mother's.

If it grows outside anywhere outside Torquay, the Scilly Isles etc.,
it will be P. caerulea. The fruits are edible but insipid.

Thanks. What is the one grown for producing real passion fruit then, please?

I fancy giving it a go (already getting reasonable results from sown shop
varieties of Physalis and Kiwi).

If Cambridgeshire gets as good a summer as we've had this year and I can
shield it so it's not blown away, I think I might get lucky with a few
edible fruits.
--
Brian