Old 29-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Matthew Durkin

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gj92s2.1hgt3svxbp48wN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Brian Watson wrote:

If Cambridgeshire gets as good a summer as we've had this year and I
can
shield it so it's not blown away, I think I might get lucky with a few
edible fruits.

P.edulis or P.quadrangularis (there are a couple of others I don't
remember offhand.) However these aren't likely to do welloutside (its
usually the wet in winter that kills em as well as the cold)

http://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/collection.shtml

if you can get hold of a copy of Passionflowers by John Vanderplank (my
local library has a copy, you might get lucky)

Common Blue is supposed to be quite nice mixed with apple in pie and the
leaves make a anxiolytic tea (studies showed efffects similar to
Tamezepam but with less side effects!) (don't try this at home kids)

MYLES IRVINE's site at:
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/ has LOADS of info on growing and mentions
a few fellow URG members

Great, thank you. I may try them in a top-protected, but sunny, spot.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say

I also read about being able to sub them for blackberries in a blackberry
and apple pie. Perhaps you could try this. I was never sure whether it meant
the whole fruit or just the inside!
I've also read you could plant the supermarket fruit and get it to grow
(with the right conditions). Probably worth a go if you want to grow
P.edulis as to buy the seeds from a seed supplier is usually quite expensive
(in comparison) and I expect you'd get a much better germination from the
fruit itself. Seeds can be difficult to germinate.

Also - there are a one or two other varieties that sometimes survive outside
in the UK. One common name 'maypops' (I forget the latin) is extremely hardy
and has pretty purple flowers (not sure about the fruit). According to
passionflow website, there are quite a few others that will take frost,
thought that isn't reflected in other documentation. I suspect that