Old 29-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Brian Watson

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message

I also read about being able to sub them for blackberries in a

blackberry
and apple pie. Perhaps you could try this. I was never sure whether it
meant the whole fruit or just the inside!
I've also read you could plant the supermarket fruit and get it to grow
(with the right conditions). Probably worth a go if you want to grow
P.edulis as to buy the seeds from a seed supplier is usually quite
expensive (in comparison) and I expect you'd get a much better

germination
from the fruit itself. Seeds can be difficult to germinate.

Also - there are a one or two other varieties that sometimes survive
outside in the UK. One common name 'maypops' (I forget the latin) is
extremely hardy and has pretty purple flowers (not sure about the

fruit).
According to passionflow website, there are quite a few others that will
take frost, thought that isn't reflected in other documentation. I

suspect
that

[oops]
... I suspect that it depends upon the length of time they are kept that
cold and how wet the soil is. I'm also gonna give some less hardy species

go...
good luck

Thanks. And you!

:-)