Old 04-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Landscaping Around Ponds

Some ways:

One way is use rock from your neighborhood around, near and in your pond. If
you dont want to haul huge amounts of rock you could build artificial rock
and match the color and texture. I've seen people go to home depot and
purchase rocks from other areas that dont appear in their natural
surrounding. To me this makes it look out of place. Imagine how out of place
a pond in Pennsylvania would be if I build artificial rock colored and
textured like rock from Arizona. It'd stand out like a sore thumb. Now if I
made my artificial rock look like fractured sandstone commonly found in
Pennsylvania it'd look natural.

Dont have a single line of rocks around the parameter of your pond. You dont
want to wind up with the look of a circle of rocks with water in the middle
but rather a pile of rocks that happen to have collected around a water
hole. Place rocks of the same type ALL OVER your back yard to tie in the
pond to the general surroundings.

When building water features you want 1/3 plants, 1/3 rocks, 1/3 water
feature (i.e. waterfall). Too much of one will draw from the other and over
power.

Everyone likes waterfalls but having a waterfall start in the middle of your
yard up on a pile of rock doesn't happen in nature. If you want it to look
natural build your pond into a bank and have the water flow down the bank so
it'll look like it started somewhere else and is merely flowing down into
your pond. Using this method takes away the "starting from thin air" feeling
that most waterfalls have.

Sam

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
I usually keep all my water based questions limited to rec.ponds. I

thought
I would ask my around water based question here in alt.garden.pond.chat,

but
I was naughty too and cross posted to rec.ponds. Hope I don't get flamed

badly.

Anyway...

What kind of issues did you think about as you landscaped AROUND your

pond?
and in the area of the pond? I have seen a few in my area that are
beautiful, but they're just plopped into the backyard environment. I am
trying to take some time to make sure my pond follows the grade of the

yard
and the look of the yard so that it appears to be part of the yard, not
dropped in.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla