Old 30-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Brian Watson

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gjakt7.1idz4f1z4bayoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Just as a followup P. incarnata 'should' survive in the south (at least
south of London anyway) in a well drained spot.

'the book' (Passionflowers) gives recommendations from the author to
plant both of these on 'old builders rubble' which gives some indication
of how well drained they like their immediate root run though I'd
suggest access to good moisture sources.

Our P.caerula (common blue) is up tight against a S facing wall .

The other thing growers warn against is growing from seed unless you
have time as Passiflora are extremely variable from seed You could
have to wait a while to see if fruits were good croppers or not.. Mind
you you could also potentially discover a new cultivar this way!

I recommend to people to by plants from 'known' parent stock if possible
(of course this isn't always possible but its worth trying) For
flowering P's I try and buy plants in flower or propagate from a 'known'
good bloomer.

Now in a greenhouse of course you 'could' allow a vine to 'grow' from
inside and then train 'out' in the summer (as is done with some grape
vines I believe. Thus the greenhouse would protect the parent plant in
winter.

All good food for thought.

That "feet in a greenhouse" idea is pretty much what I had in mind from the
previous advice given here.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say