Old 29-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Matthew Durkin wrote:
and apple pie. Perhaps you could try this. I was never sure whether it

meant
the whole fruit or just the inside!

The inside. And it substitutes for blackberry only if you find
supermarket foods too strongly flavoured. Forget it.

Yes, you can grow P. edulis from seed.

On another point, Cambridge has had a summer that has been equal
parts warm and miserable, like most other places. P. edulis hasn't
a hope in hell of surviving the winter unprotected, even if dry,
as we get mild frosts even in mild winters (-5 Celcius last year).
I am trying P. incarnata, which can take frost, but finds our
summers too cold for it :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have never managed to get P. incanata thru the winter, too wet I think. I
get the occasional fruit on P. mollisima and P. antioquiensis but not enough
to call them fruiting plants :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk