Old 30-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Bilbo Baggins
writes

How do frozen apples and pears turn out? - I assume you can only use them
for cooking afterwards and not eating.

Yes, practically all fruit loses some texture by being frozen, but it
doesn't need to lose flavour and it can be every bit as good for
catering purposes as fresh fruit - in some cases even better because
freezing tenderises their flesh. We use defrosted soft fruit in fruit
cocktails and fruit salads just as they are with a little juice.

I have just checked with Joan and here is how she does it:

Apples: Select best quality ripe, but not over-ripe or damaged apples.
Have a bowl of water by with a little salt or lemon juice in it.
Core each apple, then drop them into the water while you are doing the
batch. That prevents the flesh from going brown (oxydising). Drain the
apples, pack them into freezer bags, then put them into the freezer.

Pears: Again use only best fruit, and have water by while you deal with
them. Peel the pears, cut them in halves or quarters depending on size.
Scoop out the central seedy part, then proceed as for apples above.

Plums: Similar procedure, but the stones need to be removed before
freezing.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.