Old 31-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Mike Lyle

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message ...
"Lu" wrote in message
What is the best way to get rid of these damned (and painful! ) weeds? We
keep finding new ones that are growing among well established and bushy
plants, so digging them up is impossible - and the roots on them stop us
pulling them out.........help please - before I get prickled to death!

Lu

Glyphosphate brushed onto the leaves will do it, but you will need to repeat
the treatment a couple of times.
DONT use a glyphosphate spray. Even on seemingly windless days it still
manages to migrate and burn or kill plants you want to retain.

And, of course, cut them off as low as you can get, wait for new
leaves to shoot, and treat those, not the whole long canes. I have
also cut off undiggable ones low down, and painted the stumps with SBK
using a little water-colour brush (you have to destroy the brush
afterwards, so a packet of cheapies from the market or quid shop is
best).

Mike.