Old 31-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Gary Woods

"Cat" wrote:

I want to establish a few crowns of rhubarb and asparagus (I would'nt *kill*
for asparagus, but would probably gouge an eye out or two), and wonder
whether now is the time to plant those?

Both those are usually planted from crowns in the spring. I'm a big fan of
growing asparagus from seed in a nursery bed; "costs" an extra season, but
you get much better plants at much lower cost.

Also, I am looking for slightly unusual (i.e. not readily available in
shops) but easily grown veg I could put in right away for either Winter or
Spring?

Folks is the UK can probably be of more help; I think many overwinter Fava
beans which I, in the American colonies, cannot.