Old 31-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
M K Rogerson wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:52:55 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:

Can someone tell me which cyclamen (if any) flower throughout the winter?
I'm planning ahead for my winter baskets and pots.

In my experience none of the smaller cyclamen such as those on sale in
garden centres now, are hardy, though they might do in a sheltered
innner city, or coastal garden.
The hardy cyclamen such as c. hederifolium, th most common, come into
flower now followed by the leaves. They don't flower all winter.

Cyclamen hederifolium will give you flowers through to November. You can use
Cyclamen coum to give you colour from February. The bit in the middle is a
bit difficult.

I am pretty sure mine are C. coum, and they are flowering now. They
also flower in the spring, depending on what they feel like! My
understanding is that they are adapted to short seasons, and behave
a bit weirdly in a wet climate like ours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.