Old 31-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:29:59 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

I knew someone years ago who used to do this every year, and I've also seen
lobelias growing through flags etc where hanging baskets the previous year
had dropped seeds.
What I want to know is, can I take seeds from any or all of these for sowing
in spring? - if so, how and when?

Impatiens (Busy Lizzie) are fun to save seed from and unless you want
particular colours, I have found no loss of vigour from seed saved
year after year. The progeny will NOT be the same colours as the
parents. About now, assuming you have some in flower, the seed pods
form and pop when ripe. I soon learned at what stage to pick them,
and get them safely in a paper bag or deep pot. Store them in a paper
bag or envelope until sowing time next spring.

I have found that several non-hardy plants have grown fron seed which
has self sown, as the lobelia you mentioned. Impatiens do that also.
Morning glory is easy to save seed from, as soon as the pods are ripe.
You will learn by experience and save a lot of money, whether you are
tight fisted or not.
You will NOT be able to save seed from Surfinias however!
It depends what you are growing this year, and remember you only
really need a few seed of each to get started.

Pam in Bristol