Old 01-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Victoria Clare

"Phil L" wrote in
:

What I want to know is, can I take seeds from any or all of these for
sowing in spring? - if so, how and when?
(I'm not being tight-fisted, it's just that these were exceptional
flowering and I wondered if their progeny would be the same)

Verbena.

I have found that most hanging basket verbenas are really tender
perennials. They survive over winter in my unheated greenhouse, though I
think you might get better plants next year if you took cuttings and kept
them indoors instead.

Cuttings should come completely true to the parent, unlike seed which is
usually pretty variable, so definitely worth a try if they are something
special.

Dunno about the others, sorry.

I can report that the 'miniature morning glory' convolvulus sabatius and
'million bells' petunias can also be treated as slightly tender perennials
and perpetuated through cuttings.

Petunias need a bit more warmth / damp than the convolvulus, which will
survive sub-zero temperatures if you keep it very dry.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall