Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Victoria Clare

"aka Robbie" wrote in
:

Put this way, I have an old Black and Decker Stripemaster, with a very
blunt blade. I popped to a few garden centres over the bank holiday
weekend to see if I could get a new blade. Most looked blank and one
laughed saying "yeah right. Black and Decker stopped making lawnmowers
over 10 years ago mate. You'll never get a new blade for that piece of
history"!!!!

Worth trying a garden machinery / maintenance shop rather than just a
garden centre or DIY shed. My local one is very good on sharpening things,
and it can be cheaper than buying replacement blades, let alone lawnmowers.

If you do buy a new one, I can recommend against anything by Flymo,
(assuming they even do cylinder/stripy mowers).

My electric Qualcast doesn't stripe, so wouldn't suit you, but seems well
built and is very reliable. I believe they also make cylinder mowers: if
you get no other recommendations, this may be some use!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall