Old 01-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Lu
writes
What is the best way to get rid of these damned (and painful! ) weeds? We
keep finding new ones that are growing among well established and bushy
plants, so digging them up is impossible - and the roots on them stop us
pulling them out.........help please - before I get prickled to death!

You need some thicker gardening gloves for a start. I go after them in
the shrubby borders with a long handled fork and brute force. Never
leave any bits on growing in the sunlight. If you can do nothing else
lop them off at ground level and hoe out all seedlings weekly.

At this time of year you may as well harvest the brambles. I let mine
grow wild on one fence as natural barbed wire and have planted a couple
of thornless cultivars on another.

Clearing more open overgrown ground of brambles is easier with a
combination of glyphosate followed by fire a few weeks later when the
scrub is all tinder dry.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown