Old 02-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Kay

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
Kay wrote ".........If you want a world-wide gardening ng, rec.gardens is
available....."

rec.gardens is world wide if you consider North America to be the world.
Those posting from outside this area frequently get sarcastic comments and
being told that rec.gardens is for America only.

And that is what is likely to happen if we change the charter of urg to
make it world wide - UK gardening will be swamped by the numerically
largest group of internet posters.

I for one like to think that in this group we are more tolerant, and
prepared to share our knowledge with anyone who wants it.

If by that you mean 'our knowledge of gardening that is relevant to UK
conditions' I agree wholeheartedly, and I think it is evident that we
are very willing to share our knowledge.

There has never been an issue about people posting from outside the UK.
They are very welcome.

By the way some varieties of Banana are capable of being grown outdoors in
parts of the UK.

Yes, I know that, and it is irrelevant to the point I am making, which
is that growing methods on, say, the Windward Is are supremely
misleading to gardeners in the UK unless the post has been tailored to
UK conditions by giving enough information for the UK gardener to see
where his conditions are different.

--
Kay