Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Phil L

Nick Maclaren wrote:
:: In article ,
:: Phil L wrote:
:::
::: It's strange you should mention this...I have three or four
::: clematis growing in pots on a shady fence, all we see is a few
::: miserable stalks and weeds growing in the pots, next door
::: meanwhile has a mass of flowers and foilage...it was only this
::: afternoon that I thought about cutting it all back and repotting
::: it for next year and moving it to a sunnier position in my own
::: garden....when's the best time to do this anyone?
::
:: If they flower early in the year, immediately after flowering. If
:: they flower later, any time from late autumn to late winter. If
:: they include C. armandii, that may well die.
::
There are still some flowers on it now, though not as many as there has
been, I'll leave it a few more weeks and cut it right back...I've no idea if
it's an armandii, but it's in the way where it is...we have bindweed and a
few brambles taking root very close - I cannot get to them to treat them or
get the roots out with the tangle of clematis in the way.