Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:42:45 +0100, "Ian Waddell"
wrote:

Hmmm, bit too swift with the send button!

Basically I've cut down some very dense growth of honeysuckle that I
*thought* was growing from our garden. Whilst I was doing this the
neighbour behind us informed me that it has grown from the neighbour to our
side.

Now, I'm planning to cut it back to their border, and erect a fence - but
besides regular pruning does anyone have any tips on how to stop it growing
back over?

Not a hope, I'd say.

About three years ago I had to clear a path through the woods adjacent
to my garden. The spot that needed clearing was a dense thicket made
up almost entirely of honeysuckle ( the scent midsummer is incredible!
).
Three years later and it looks as though I'd never set foot there.

I love the stuff personally, but find that some specimens fall prey to
mildew - so I hack them right back round about now, safe in the
knowledge that they'll be back as good as ever next year.
If you want to be free of it you'll have to completely kill or remove
it...or just out up with cutting any invading shoots off on a regular
basis.

There's a caveat to this last method though. Regular pruning of
honeysuckle encourages thick stems below the cut - which then put out
even more shoots!

I think your best bet would be to talk to your neighbour - and if
necessary offer to replace the honeysuckle with something a bit less
vigorous.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk