Old 03-09-2004, 10:05 AM
BAC

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:10:46 +0200, Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:04:45 +0100, BAC wrote:

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:50:34 GMT, Will wrote:

Hi,

Whilst digging some potatoes this afternoon, I spied a hitherto
unseen (by me!) beetle. I've put a small (15K) picture up on
www.mole-end-cottage.co.uk/beetle/beetle2.jpg anyone any idea? It

is
about the size of a large ladybird...
It's definitely a (shield)bug nymph (Hemiptera: heteroptera) and

not a
beetle.
Palomena prasina?
http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits...ES/7033522.jpg

I agree it's almost certainly a shield bug nymph, resembling a

beetle,
and
the markings are similar to the common green shieldbug nymph you

suggest,
but p prasina nymphs are usually green with black markings, and the

specimen
on the photo posted didn't look green to me, although, obviously,

the
markings are spot on. I can't suggest a closer match :-)

It's a sort of turquoise colour really, isn't it? I've had quite a

few
in
my garden and they are quite variable. I suppose depending on age and
lighting. Will's picture captures the colour I usually see quite

well.

There you are then, if you've actually seen some which are similar,

that's
good enough for me.

Assuming it *is* a P. prasina of course.

A trip to the local bookshop and browse through the insect

identification
books might be in order.

There's a photo claiming to be a Pied shield bug (Sehirus bicolor)

nymph
here (scroll down) :

http://www.communigate.co.uk/hants/snhs/page13.phtml
Which looks similar, but seeing other photos I'm not totally convinced.

Pied shield bug nymphs are described as looking like shiny cream coloured
ladybirds with black spots, so I share your doubts. My local bookshop
doesn't stock Land and Water Bugs of the British Isles, by Southwood and
Leston, 1959, still the best guide to identification, apparently. Now if

it
were 'Harry Potter and the Hemiptera from Hell', that would be a

different
story :-)

According to the (black-and-white) illustration in Southwood and Leston
(which I have on CD) it is definitely Pied Shield Bug, Sehirus bicolor,
- the exact pattern. They don't say what the ground colour is.

That seems persuasive, given the very authoritative source.

They don't illustrate the larvae of P.prasina and don't even offer a
text description. All they say, not very helpfully, is that the larvae
"have different colour patterns during each of the five instars".

If there are many possible variations in appearance, perhaps they did not
consider it helpful to include an illustration of just one of them?

If anyone is interested in the CD, go to:
www.irchouse.demon.co.uk

A useful source, thanks.