Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Rachael Nex" writes:

| I'm hoping the stones will lessen the effect of water lying on a flat
| surface - thus lessen smell of dampness and wee - and help drain it away
| into the drains. There is a slight slope in the concrete down to the drain.
| Do you see what I'm getting at ?

Yes, and it won't work. They will actually hold (slightly) more
water than the concrete.

| Any thoughts ? Experience of same ? Alternative ideas (other than get rid of
| the dogs - not an option ! Also, I do bleach the area but apparently as
| bleach contains ammonia and so does pee, you're kinda adding to the problem
| rather than taking it away if you wahs down with bleach over dog pee, so I
| have been told).

Neither urine nor bleach contains ammonia. The former contains urea,
which is broken down into ammonia by bacteria. Bleach contains
chlorine (actually sodium hypochlorite), which can react with
ammonia, but that is not a major issue in this context.

If the worst that you have is a smell of dampness in an area that
is perpetually damp and sunless, you are doing well. Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.