Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Victoria Clare

"Rachael Nex" wrote in
:

So - I have a damp area outside my house which has two drains in it
and is subject to constant dog pee and washing down. This means that
apart from the dog wee on concrete smell (which I keep to a minimum by
washing down of course) there is a pervading odour of dampness. Not
good.

Is it just a 'damp' smell, or is it more 'drainy' ?

If the smell is noticeably unpleasant, could it be it's something living /
decaying in the wetness, like a sort of stale composty / stagnant kind of
smell?

Jeyes Fluid is quite good on stale things - worth a try, (though you might
just end up substituting the 'jeyes' smell for the dank one.)

Do the dogs only wee in the garden, or would it be possible to encourage
them to wee more while out on walks by varying their routine to make sure
they get a walk about the times they particularly need to go?

Appreciate this possibility depends very much on your local area and
circumstances...

I take it that the garden isn't large, so there's no possibility of
rerouting the dogs to a more distant location - perhaps a shrubbery or
something? Shrubs can take dog wee much better than grass does.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall