Old 10-09-2004, 01:51 AM
Blue Gourami

I have a fantastic pothos in my office hanging near my 48G aquarium.
I've started new plants with a clipping and water. I wondered if it
would be safe to drop the end of a pothos clipping in the aquarium near
the heater opening to start a new plant. Call it an experiment, can the
pothos get everything it needs from tank water and my big concern, will
it give off anything toxic to the fish? I know the calcium oxalate
crystalsit's are toxic to dogs and cats, but a Google search found at
least one list for fish and pothos wasn't listed as toxic.

I have been growing a pothos with its roots in an aquarium for the
last six months at least. It has developed a huge root mass going all
the way down into the gravel. At first it was in a 20-gallon hexagonal
tank with a paradise fish in it. I later moved the plant to a
108-gallon tank because the roots were taking up too much space in the
smaller tank. The paradise fish is still fine and so are the fish in
the big tank. There does not seem to be any adverse effect.

I tried a few other plants and found that Syngonium podophyllum and
Hemigraphis colorata also grow well in the same situation. I have one
of each with their roots in a 10-gallon quarantine tank in which I am
presently raising two panchax babies who were born in the big tank
about two weeks ago.

Blue Gourami