Old 14-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Des Higgins

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Cerumen" contains these
words:

I don't think horserubbish counts - it's an alien species, and can

be
treated as a weed.

As is sycamore? and many others, somehow I think not but could be

wrong.

W. Keble Martin says: "an ancient introduction." (Concise British Flora

Yes and a recent native woodland survey here refused to include woodland
with sycamore (and many other common trees) as native which was why it
sprang to mind.

Beech and Sycamore are not native in Ireland. Beech is harmless enough and
certainly makes for wonderful specimen trees. Sycamore is a bit of a weed.
I would rather see sycamores than no trees at all but they are invasive and
can edge out native species (of tree and woodland flora). I repeat and
stress that I would prefer to see sycamores than no trees at all but it is
not a priority to preserve them.

I THINK (but could easily be wrong) that Beech is native in s.England??

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork