Old 14-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Ian Smith

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:29:22 -0400, P&L wrote:

I am not at all sure how I will get it into the unit but that will be
the last step. Worth a try. All this make sense to you?

Set up teh filter with a spare pump / powerhead driving it from a
bucket of water. Wedge the pump such that the inlet is pointing
straight up. With teh pump running, trickle a fine stream of sand
into teh inlet - it should get dragged along through the pipework and
deposited in the filter.

Obviously, this only works if tehre isn't a pre-filter on teh
fluidised bed. It also is liable to give wear on your pump impeller,
and at worst knacker the pump entirely. It might also upset any
check-valve in teh circuit. It's a fairly slow process, but I've
topped up the media in a home-made fluidised bed (with no prefilter
and no check valve) by this method when I didn't want to take it out
of teh system where it was running.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig