Old 16-09-2004, 11:41 PM
mel turner

"Cory Jackson" wrote in message

http://bluepointdesign.com/weird/

I found this pod in a lot next to my house. One of the strangest natural
things I've ever seen! Can someone tell me what the heck this is before I
hack it up and dispose of it? FYI I live in Fallbrook California.

It looks like a large tuberous root. Similar root tubers are possessed
by numerous vines [esp. some morning glories, several members of the
squash/cucumber family]. Some common California wild cucumber
relatives, Marah or Echinocystis, are famous for their giant tubers
that can be much larger than the one in your photo. Some wild
Cucurbita gourds also have huge tubers.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Man-root
http://www.cnps-yerbabuena.org/gard_sigg_manroot.html
http://www.necandeconews.to/modules....icle&sid= 229
http://www.starlandretreat.com/Index/Nature.htm
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumberroot.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...umberfruit.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumbervine.jpg
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bot...e/a0804tx.html

Do you recall seeing similar spiny-fruited wild cucumber vines at
or near the site?

cheers