Old 17-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Doug Kanter

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Bill R said;

The first thing that you need to do is to check with the

local (city or county) authorities to make sure that they
are permitted in your area. When I stated checking around
here I was amazed how many areas now prohibit them (even
though the area is rural).

Interesting, and that is the very reason I didn't check the rules. Someone
would have to come onto my property to know that I had one, and I figure

it is
no one's business.

As far as brands: I have a small unit K.9. Brand around my vegetable

garten and
a Big unit from TSC that protects a large flower and shade garden area.
Contrary to what others have recommended, I use a single strand of wire at
about 2.5 to 3 foot high (nose height). The deer have been leaving our

stuff
alone for about 2 years now. They do occasionaly crash through and nock

down
the fence and the next day, I just put it back up.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

That's sort of what I was thinking: Don't ask, don't tell. Besides, the
neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer during
the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden. So,
I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand that
the fence is unlikely to harm a person, but tell that to a mommy. If I can
point to a timer, all should be peaceful.