View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old 17-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Anil Kaushik

Vicky

My pleasure! Thank you. Regarding ficus well in India I think ninety percent Bonsais are being trained are from this genus. It is true that putting a ficus in a shallow container induces flare, but the growth retards. Again the best course will be to grow it in a big container or in the ground after cutting the downwards growing roots especially the tap root, and placing a disc under it. This forces the roots to grow sideward and roots emanate from all sides causing swelling at the point of origin which becomes buttress or flare over a period of time.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)

----- Original Message -----
To:

Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: [IBC] Thickening trunk base on Brazilian Raintree

Anil,
Thank you for the suggestions. I have heard of that method with such trees as trident maples, and am actually trying it on a small ficus (I have since been told that ficus will thicken up by simply potting it in a very shallow pot). I am happy to hear this method works with raintrees and am eager to try it! Your picturesque description of "breathtakingly beautiful flare..." was quite motivating!
Thank you, again.
Vicky

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen Gardenworks++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++