Old 17-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Anil Kaushik

Vicky

My pleasure! Thank you. Regarding ficus well in India I think ninety percent Bonsais are being trained are from this genus. It is true that putting a ficus in a shallow container induces flare, but the growth retards. Again the best course will be to grow it in a big container or in the ground after cutting the downwards growing roots especially the tap root, and placing a disc under it. This forces the roots to grow sideward and roots emanate from all sides causing swelling at the point of origin which becomes buttress or flare over a period of time.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)