Old 19-09-2004, 10:26 AM
HairyMcLeary

"cabaloz" wrote in message
I've been fighting a losing battle with hair/beard on my plants and black
brush algae on a piece of driftwood.
Tank is 130 litres, my nitrates are always within 5-10 mg/l, tested every
2-3 days, regular (every 7 days) 25% water changes, thorough and deep
vacuuming of the substrate and reasonably well planted with crypts,
swords, ludwegia, bacopa, elodea, java fern and dwarf anubia.
Filters are a 1000 l/hr canister filter and a 700 l/hr internal.
Lighting is a 30watt bio-lux and a 20watt bio-lux on for a timer 12 hours
per day
I was using DIY CO2, but have disconnected it as it only seems to
encourage the algae.
I have been reading about treating the plants using a 5% bleach solution
and realise the trauma this must cause the plant, but I am desperate.
The only thing I haven't been able to find on the subject is whether the
dead algae falls off or whether it persists on the leaves and needs
removal.
Does anyone have any views?

Thanks!

I struggled for years trying to rid my tanks of this stuff, but it always
came back. A few Siamese Algae eaters (Chrossocheilus samensis ) and the
problem solved.

Tony