Old 20-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cory Jackson" wrote in
:

"mel turner" wrote in message
"Cory Jackson" wrote in message

http://bluepointdesign.com/weird/

I found this pod in a lot next to my house. One of the strangest
natural things I've ever seen! Can someone tell me what the heck
this is before I hack it up and dispose of it? FYI I live in
Fallbrook California.

It looks like a large tuberous root. Similar root tubers are
possessed by numerous vines [esp. some morning glories, several
members of the squash/cucumber family]. Some common California
wild cucumber relatives, Marah or Echinocystis, are famous for
their giant tubers that can be much larger than the one in your
photo. Some wild Cucurbita gourds also have huge tubers.

snip some links

You're going to make me loose my bet! My girlfriend insists it
some root burl or something but I disagree. I've seen damaged
roots before that went haywire but there always appeared to be an
in and an out to it if you know what I mean. This appears to be
completely on the surface and has roots coming from it into the
ground from the top. There are no vines attached to it or any
other form of life. There was a small growth on top of it though,
like how a potato starts to sprout but it was only a couple of
inches. There are no vines of any type in the area.

snip a bit more

Consider your bet lost. You actually do answer your question
yourself, actually. You say there are some roots coming out of it,
and a sprout on top of it. These are sure-fire signs of some sort of
tuber. If you leave a potato on the counter long enough, it will
develop roots and sprouts too. Since your pictures don't have detail
of the sprout, it is hard to distinguish between the possible
choices that Mel listed. If you leave it alone, it will grow more
stuff that can be used to ID it better. This may not happen till
next spring. When it gets big enough, you can take it to your local
county extension agent, they might be able to tell you.

As far as eating it, I wouldn't suggest it, as it may very well be
poisonous. If you taste it and it is extremely bitter, then most
likely it is one of the wild cucumber or gourds mentioned. If it is
bland, then probably an Ipomoea. A good indication that it is likely
poisonous is that the rats that built their nests on and near it
didn't eat any of it.

Sean